My projects, it seems, come in groups. I started out with the Dremel 4000 by making a wooden ring and then went on to make two more in quick succession. More recently, I got going with the Bento Box and shortly after used the same mitre joining technique to make a kitchen tray. Today, I followed up on that with a third mitred frame, this one to serve as Mari’s earring rack.
The idea for this came from browsing Pinterest: there, someone had bought a picture frame, strung two or three lines of wire across it, and used those to hang necklaces and earrings. The only thing that was different about my version was that the frame was not store-bought but made out of 3.5cm-wide wooden corners: exactly the same approach as I used for the frame of the Bento Box. The frame is roughly 25 × 35 cm, with 45° cuts joined up to make square corners. The last two times I made mitred cuts, I did so with my own flimsy and undersized mitre box. This time, things went infinitely faster and smoother thanks to the fact that I had spent €9 on a mitre box / saw set.
Passing through the aisles of my local hardware store, I looked wistfully at powered mitre saws and even the infinitely adjustable manual mitre saw, but those were just too big and expensive for my little kitchen workshop. So, I left the store with something like this, which was still more than I had intended to buy – I was a little upset that the mitre box was not available on its own. However, after using the new saw for only a few minutes, I became very happy with this purchase. Compared to my older utility saw, the wide stiff blade, the angled handle, and the smaller teeth on the new mitre saw make it wonderfully suited for smooth straight cuts. The mitre box, not surprisingly, is also a huge improvement on my own handiwork, with larger dimensions, sturdy walls, and precise 90°, 45° & 22.5° angles plus a 45° face angle. Slicing through the soft pine of the wooden corners was a (very accurate) breeze. And then, putting the frame together, with all sides fitting to each other properly and all angles lining up, was a delight in comparison to the Bento Box experience.
After the PVA glue set overnight, I attached the two plywood supports that keep the frame tilted slightly backward. These were cut out and shaped while held together with C-clamps for perfect symmetry. I used the new saw for the straight cut and a fret saw for the curved ones. Final shaping and finishing was done with the 432 sanding band using the 576 sanding / grinding guide to keep things nice and straight.
I then drilled 4 holes into each side of the frame using a 1.2mm (3/64″) drill bit in a 482 collet, and then threaded through these some artistic wire Mari had lying around. Des volunteered to deliver the finished product to its recipient (she enjoys bringing good news 🙂 ), and Mari quickly went to work filling out the frame with earrings and necklaces: