The Hello Kitty café was a smashing success. In fact, the client received it a little too enthusiastically: all of her parents’ free time and much of their busy time became punctuated with “So, do you want to come to the Kiti Kohvik?” There was only so much pretend food that they could pretend to eat. A solution was needed. How about expanding the café’s clientele?
Originally, I had only planned to build the café’s kitchen, but now I started to think about creating a seating area where Des’s other toys could partake of the menu’s offerings. The first item on the list was a table. With plywood in mind once again, I started sketching a design in Paper and came up with the one on the right. The legs of the table would be made out of two pieces of plywood, interlocked through their matching slits. The table top would be a circle, its size determined by the circumference of the largest coffee cup in our (real) kitchen.
Satisfied with the sketch and the overall idea, I re-created the shape of the table legs on paper, this time being careful with dimensions and symmetry. Using a jigsaw, I cut out two 8.5 × 8.5 squares of plywood and traced the design onto one of them. Then, with the two plywood pieces held together securely with C-clamps, I cut out the shapes with a fret saw and finished them with the Dremel 408 sanding band. After taking them apart, I used the fret saw to cut the opposing vertical slits, ~4mm wide to accommodate the plywood’s thickness, and 1mm past the half-way point vertically. Some PVA glue to put it all together and voila!
Once again, the client approved. And immediately ordered 4 more. Business is booming, you see: