My in-laws are redoing their kitchen, slowly but surely. About a month ago, my father-in-law and I spend half of a Saturday laying wall tile. A Dremel with a tile cutting bit would have been immensely useful, especially as we had to cut out internal holes in several tiles to accommodate various bits of architecture. Sadly, this was before my Dremel 4000 purchase, so things had to be done the hard way.
Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, and we found ourselves back at it, this time painting the kitchen doors and windows. The window frames had already been sanded, but one of the doors still had lots of old cracked paint on it. Luckily, my trusty Dremel was with me. The door was a pretty typical wooden door with some recessed and raised surfaces. My father-in-law had a large sheet sander that did a good job on the large flat areas, but wasn’t particularly useful on smaller recessed parts.
I used the 432 120-grit sanding band to get into the tighter spots, and it did a good job of it. For the most part, the 120-grit was sufficient, which was just as well since I wanted to stay away from the more aggressive 60-grit 408 sanding band. Here’s the break-down of the sanding job:
On the downside, the job more or less destroyed the sanding band by clogging it with paint. Here it is, next to an unused band for comparison:
I tried cleaning the band by running it against a rough wooden surface, or by using the 511E abrasive buff on it, but to no avail. I’ve no idea whether something like this is preventable, is caused by bad technique, or is simply part of the job. Regardless, I have the satisfaction of a job well done to keep me happy 🙂 .